YIELD: 27 servings in 1 2½” deep full hotel pan (a 1-cup serving provides 1 grain/bread serving, ½ cup vegetable and 1.75 oz meat/alt)
2 tsps. vegetable oil
4 cups onion, diced
¼ cup garlic, chopped
½ cup tomato paste
½ cup chili powder
2 Tbsps. brown sugar
3 tsps. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
5 cups tomatoes, canned, diced, with juice, low sodium
2½ qts. beef stock, low sodium
2 lbs. Whole Grain 5 Blend (combination of red rice, durum wheat, wild rice, sprouted brown rice, and long-grain parboiled brown rice)
3 lbs. ground beef, cooked, drained
6 cups kidney beans, cooked without salt or low-sodium, canned, drained
1. In a pot large enough to hold all the chili ingredients, heat the oil.
2. Saute the onion and garlic until translucent.
3. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes (with juice) and stock.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Into a hotel pan, place whole grain blend, beef, beans and hot stock mixture. Stir to combine.
7. Cover the pan with parchment and foil.
8. Bake in a 350°F convection oven for approximately 1 hour or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
9. Remove the pan from the oven, remove the foil and paper, and stir contents of the pan to mix well. Suggestion: Serve with a yogurt or sour cream sauce.
Indian Harvest/K-12 Specialist Chef Colleen Donnelly
Photo: Indian Harvest/Rob Yuretich