The International Foodservice Manufacturers Association (IFMA) announced the recipients of the 2013 Silver Plate Awards, which recognizes excellence in eight segments of foodservice operations. The winners in the four onsite foodservice categories are…
• Health Care: Angelo Mojica, Director of Nutrition & Services/Associate Professor, UNC Hospitals/UNC Gillings School of Global Health;
• Elementary & Secondary Schools: Julia Bauscher, Director, School & Community Nutrition Services, Jefferson County Public Schools;
• Colleges & Universities: Ken Toong, Executive Director, Auxiliary Enterprises, University of Massachusetts Amherst;
• Business & Industry/Foodservice Management: Jay Silverstein, Vice President, Conference & Dining Services, Credit Suisse;
• In addition, John Metz, Jr., CEO, Executive Chef and Co-Founder of Sterling Spoon Culinary Management won the award in the Independent Restaurants/Multi-Concept category. His company also has a substantial and growing business in managing dining services for business dining clients.
One of the eight Silver Plate winners will be named the 2013 IFMA Gold Plate Award winner at the 59th Annual Gold & Silver Plate Celebration, May 20, 2013 in Chicago.
Long considered the most coveted operator awards in the foodservice industry, IFMA Gold and Silver Plates have been awarded to such legendary operators as Dave Thomas of Wendy’s (’79), Ralph Brennan (’97), Steve Ells of Chipotle (’03) and most recently to Mary Molt, PHD, RD, LD, of Kansas State University (’12), won won the Gold Plate last year. This year’s awards celebration will be hosted by Gold Plate recipient Ted Balestreri, Chairman & CEO, Cannery Row Company (’84).
“We are honored to announce this year’s class of Silver Plate recipients,” says IFMA President/CEO Larry Oberkfell. “The awards allow us to pay tribute to these outstanding individuals whose contributions advance their individual segments and the foodservice industry as a whole.”
Silver Plate winners are chosen by a jury that includes national trade press editors (including Food Management Editor in Chief John Lawn), foodservice experts, past award winners and the chairperson of the International Gold & Silver Plate Society.
In addition to those listed above, the other 2013 Silver Plate winners are:
• Chain Full Service/Multi-Concept: Harald Herrmann, President & CEO, Yard House
• Chain Limited Service: Don Fox, CEO, Firehouse Subs
• Hotels & Lodging: James Purdum, General Manager, Hospitality Services, Penn State University
The 59th annual Gold & Silver Plate Awards Celebration is May 20, 2013 at the Great Hall at Union Station in Chicago. The Celebration draws hundreds of leading foodservice executives from the supplier and operator communities and features a pre-dinner wine tasting, gourmet meal and exciting after-party.