The International Foodservice Manufacturers Association (IFMA) has announced the recipients of the 2014 Silver Plate Awards, which recognizes excellence in eight segments of foodservice operations. The winners in the onsite foodservice categories are…
• Health Care: Lisette Coston, executive director of support services, St. Francis Health System, Tulsa, OK, and incoming national president of the Association for Healthcare Foodservice (AHF);
• Elementary & Secondary Schools: Sandra Ford, director of food & nutrition services, Manatee County (FL) School District, and former national president of the School Nutrition Association (SNA);
• Colleges & Universities: Mark LoParco, director of dining, University of Montana and current president of NACUFS;
• Specialty Foodservices: Kevin D'Onofrio, director of foodservice, Culinary Group, U.S. Military Academy, West Point, NY.
There was no award given this year in the Business & Industry/Foodservice Management category but James Broadhurst, who was instrumental in launching two major regional foodservice management companies, the Parkhurst Dining and Cura Hospitality units of the Eat 'n Park Hospitality Group, was honored as the winner in the Chain Full Service category. He is currently chairman of Eat 'n Park Hospitality Group.
Other winners were...
•Independent Restaurants/Multi-Concept: Jack Williams, co-founder, Richie’s Real American Diner;
• Chain Limited Service: Steve Romaniello, managing director, Roark Capital Group.
• Hotels & Lodging: Brad Nelson, vice president F&B-Culinary & Global Corporate Chef, Marriott International.
“We are privileged to award this year’s class of Silver Plate recipients,” says IFMA President/CEO Larry Oberkfell. “The Gold & Silver Plate Awards are the IFMA community’s way of celebrating greatness within the operator community and acknowledging the leadership and dedication these particular individuals have put forth to advance the foodservice industry.”
Silver Plate winners are chosen by a jury that includes national trade press editors, foodservice experts, past award winners and the chairperson of the International Gold & Silver Plate Society. From among the eight Silver Plate winners, one is chosen to receive the IFMA Gold Plate. The jury’s secret ballot is kept confidential until the Gold & Silver Plate Celebration when the Gold Plate winner is announced for the first time.
John C. Metz, Jr. of Sterling Hospitality won the Gold Plate last year. Other recent winners have included onsite foodservice figures like Villanova University Dining Services Director Timothy Dietzler (2010), U.S. Air Force Chief of Food & Beverage Operations George Miller (2011) and Kansas State University Assistant Director of Housing & Dining Services Mary Molt (2012).
The winner of the 2014 Gold Plate Award will be announced at the 60th annual Gold & Silver Plate Awards Celebration on May 19th at the Great Hall at Union Station in Chicago. The event will include a pre-dinner Gold & Silver Plate Society Class Reunion, gourmet meal and exciting after-party.
Tickets are now available for the Gold & Silver Plate Celebration at ifmaworld.com/GSP. Please contact John Lehmann, Director, Member Value with inquiries at [email protected]