YIELD: 4 servings
2/3 lb. bean sprouts
4 tsps. garlic cloves, finely minced, divided
reduced-sodium soy sauce, as needed
2 cups sweet potatoes, julienned, cooked and drained
coarse sea salt, to taste
6 oz. baby spinach
6 tsps. vegetable oil, divided
sesame oil, as needed
2 small zucchini, julienned
6 to 8 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced, stems discarded
2 cups diced apples
3 to 4 cups cooked medium-grain rice
4 eggs, cooked, sunny-side up
hot sauce, to taste
1. Cook bean sprouts in large sauce pan of boiling water 4 to 5 minutes or until tender; drain well. Toss in bowl with 2 teaspoons garlic and 1 teaspoon soy sauce; keep warm.
2. Season cooked sweet potato with salt to taste; keep warm.
3. Sauté spinach and remaining 2 teaspoons garlic in 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet 2 to 3 minutes or until wilted. Season with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil and salt, to taste. Remove and keep warm.
4. Sauté mushrooms and apples in same skillet in 2 teaspoons vegetable oil 4 to 5 minutes or until just cooked through. Season with a little soy sauce and sesame oil. Remove and keep warm.
5. Assemble in 4 shallow-wide bowls. Scoop rice into center of each bowl. Arrange 1/4 of each cooked ingredient around rice. Top with soft-cooked eggs.
6. Mix egg, rice, vegetables and apples together to eat. Season with hot sauce to taste.
Photo: Dole Packaged Foods, LLC Recipe: Rick Perez, Dole Corporate Chef, R&D Culinary Consulting