YIELD: 8 SERVINGS
8 oz. plum tomatoes, diced ¼"
1¼ oz. white onion, diced ¼"
½ oz. jalapeño, seeded, finely diced (1 jalapeño)
¼ oz. fresh cilantro, chopped (¼ cup)
1 oz. lime juice
¼ oz. garlic, minced (1 clove)
1 tsp. Kosher salt
Avocado “Ice Cream” Cone:
8 small corn tortillas, each cut into 4½" circles
1 qt. canola oil for frying
5 oz. canned vegetarian refried beans
4 oz. fresh California avocado, coarsely mashed
Avocado Crème Brûlée (yield 2 cups):
1 tsp. olive oil
1 oz. shallot, diced (1 shallot)
½ oz. jalapeño, seeded, diced
1 large fresh California avocado*
2 oz. crème fraiche
2 oz. skim milk
1 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
½ oz. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. fresh lime zest
1 large egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
½ oz. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (2 Tbsps.)
Avocado & Roasted Corn Salad (yield 2½ cups):
1 lb. corn kernels, cut from 3 ears of corn
2 oz. olive oil or avocado oil
8 oz. fresh California avocado, diced
½" ½ oz. jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
1 oz. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. fresh lime zest salt and pepper to taste
⅛ oz. thinly sliced scallion for garnish (1 Tbsp.)
* A large fresh California avocado weighs about 8 oz.
1. For the salsa: Mix together tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and salt. Refrigerate until needed.
2. For the “Ice Cream” Cone: Heat the canola oil to 375°F. Place the corn tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds to soften. Roll each tortilla into a cone shape and secure with a toothpick. Fry the tortillas for 45 seconds to 1 minute until golden brown and crisp. Place on paper towel lined plate and season with kosher salt immediately.
3. Pipe 1 Tbsp. of refried beans into the bottom of each cone. Place ¼ cup of salsa into each cone. Top each cone with 1 Tbsp. of the mashed Fresh California Avocado, using a small scoop or melon baller to resemble an ice cream cone.
4. For the Crème Brûlée: Preheat the oven to 300°F. Warm the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté the shallot and jalapeño until the shallot is translucent. Set aside to cool.
5. Using a food processor, purée the avocado, crème fraiche, skim milk, goat cheese, and the cooled shallot and jalapeño mixture until smooth. Mix in the lime juice and zest, season to taste with salt and pepper, then mix in the beaten egg.
6. Place ¼ cup of the mixture into each of 8 2.5 oz. ramekins. Smooth the surface of each with a spatula. Place the ramekins in a pan and fill with water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover with foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
7. Once the crème brûlées have completely cooled, top each with ½ tsp. of Parmesan cheese and use a torch to brown the top.
8. For the Salad: Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix the corn kernels and 1 oz. of the oil in a bowl. Pour into a roasting pan and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until nicely browned. Set aside to cool.
9. In large bowl, mix together the avocado, jalapeño, lime juice and zest, the remaining 1 ounce of oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the cooled roasted corn. Place 2 oz. of the salad into 8 small ramekins. Garnish each with ¼ tsp. of sliced scallions.
10. To Assemble: Place one “Ice Cream” Cone, one Crème Brulee, and one ramekin of Avocado & Roasted Corn Salad on a narrow rectangular plate.
Recipe created by Molly Buckie, Catering Manager, Restaurant Associates. Photo: California Avocado Commission