YIELD: 8 servings, 3 oz. each
1 cup shallots; approximately 5-6 shallots
1 cup olive oil, divided
2 cups dried cranberries
1 orange, zested
12 oz. water
4 cups roasted beets, quartered
6 cups garbanzo beans, cooked
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 cups water, as needed
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut shallots into quarters. In small roasting pan, combine with ½ cup oil and cover with aluminum foil and roast at 350°F for about 45 minutes, or until soft. Place shallots in china cap strainer to separate oil from shallots and reserve both.
2. Combine dried cranberries, orange zest and 12 oz. water and simmer uncovered until water has almost completely evaporated and cranberries rehydrate.
3. Toss beets in ½ cup oil, add salt and pepper to taste and roast on sheet pan at 350°F until edges become brown.
4. Place cooked garbanzo beans, rehydrated cranberries, shallots, roasted beets, 1 cup water, lemon juice and shallot oil in blender. Puree until smooth, add remaining water to loosen, if necessary. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Serve with corn tortilla chips or pita chips.