YIELD: 4-6 servings
1 1/3 cups dried cranberries
¼ cup Amontillado sherry
½ lb. thick cut smoked bacon, medium dice
2 cups Vidalia onion, small dice
3 whole sweet potatoes, peeled, medium dice
2 oz. sage, fresh, chiffonade cut
3 Tbsps. apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
4-6 whole eggs, poached or sunny-side up
4 Tbsps. peach preserves
8 tsps. chipotle hot sauce
1. Mix sherry with dried cranberries, wrap and refrigerate. Allow cranberries to plump and soften for at least 2 hours, but overnight is preferred.
2. In sauté pan, cook bacon over medium-high heat until browned and crispy. Remove bacon from pan and set aside.
3. Saute onions over medium-high heat in bacon fat until translucent and slightly browned. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Add cranberry and sherry mixture to onions and sauté 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes and cooked bacon and reduce heat to medium. Season lightly with more salt and pepper.
5. Continue sautéing, stirring occasionally, until sweet potato is three-quarters of the way cooked through—firm, not soft. Increase heat to high. Allow sweet potato to brown while it finishes cooking through.
6. Deglaze pan with cider vinegar. Add sage and mix. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
7. Combine peach preserves with chipotle hot sauce.
8. Place warm hash in bowl and top with warm poached or sunny-side up egg. Garnish with hot sauce if desired.