YIELD: 8 burgers
3 lbs. grass-fed ground chuck (80/20) for 8 (1/3 lb.) patties
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper
For basting butter:
8 Tbsps. (4 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
4 garlic cloves, peeled, halved and grated
¼ cup toasted and finely chopped rosemary
2 tsps. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsps. Worcestershire sauce
6 garlic cloves
1 cup fresh cilantro
1 cup flat-leaf parsley
½ cup chopped white onion
2 Tbsps. red wine vinegar
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp. salt
8 buns of your choice
16 slices smoked cheddar or other sliced or crumbled cheese
1 whole avocado, peeled and sliced
For griddled onions:
2 sweet white onions, cut into 1/2 –inch slices
2 Tbsps. (1 oz.) unsalted butter, plus additional for buns
2 Tbsps. canola or vegetable oil
1 ½ tsps. chipotle peppers in adobo, finely blended to a paste
1. Heat grill until very hot. Form patties with ground beef, seasoning each side with salt.
2. Prepare basting butter and chimichurri. Whisk together basting ingredients and set aside. Combine all chimichurri ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
3. Prepare toppings and set aside.
4. Grill and baste each side of burger to desired temperature. Use meat thermometer to gauge temperature. For rare, cook to 125°F; for well-done, cook to 150°F. Meat will continue to cook after it’s removed from heat, so remove burgers at 5° shy of desired temperature.
5. Meanwhile, griddle onions with butter, oil and chipotle ingredients. To finish, place burger over onions, then place a few onions on top of burger to create an “onion sandwich” on the grill. Place cheese over onions to melt.
6. Spread chimichurri on both sides of buns and place avocado slices on bottom layer. Place burger with cheese and onions on buns and serve.