YIELD: 4 hotel pans
10 lbs. (about 8) eggplants, peeled
5-7 lbs. (about 12) zucchini, peeled
5 lbs. yellow squash, peeled
1 cup oil
8 cloves garlic, chopped
4 onions, diced
3 #10 cans tomatoes, diced, juice reserved
2 bunches oregano, chopped
2 bunches thyme, chopped
2 bunches basil, chopped
¾ cup sugar
2 Tbsps. salt
2 Tbsps. pepper
2 (5-lb. cans) ricotta
6 lbs. + 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 cups Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In steam jacketed kettle or tilt skillet (or use 4” deep hotel pan) combine all eggplants, zucchini and squash and bake uncovered at 350°F until heated through and flavors have developed, about 45 minutes.
3. Sauté oil, onions, garlic and 1 bunch each of herbs for 10 min. or until onions have softened.
4. Increase heat to medium-high, add tomato juice from diced tomatoes and allow liquid to reduce for 5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, ¾ cup sugar, salt and pepper.
5. Cook over medium heat until heated through and flavors have developed.
6. When sauce has thickened, puree until smooth.
7. In large bowl combine ricotta cheese, 4 lbs. mozzarella cheese, Parmesan and remaining herbs. Mix well.
8. Wash eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash. Peel with vegetable peeler, then slice long way into 1/8” thick ribbons using meat slicer.
9. Toss sliced vegetables and tomato sauce until evenly.
10. Spray four 2” deep hotel pans with nonstick spray (garlic flavor if available) or use pan liner and spray. Place layer of vegetables in pan. Top with 1 layer of ricotta mixture. Add another layer of vegetable mixture. Drizzle with any remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle each pan with 2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese.
11. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 45 min. or until veggies are fork tender. Remove foil, increase temperature to 400°F and bake another 15 minutes to brown cheese. Allow to rest of 10 minutes, and use knife to cut into 25 (5x5) servings.
Recipe: Bryan Jacobs, Sarasota (FL) County Schools/Meatless Monday