YIELD: 6 servings
1 cup quinoa
1¾ cups water
1½ bunches kale, cut into 1”x1” pieces
1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
1 cup navel orange segments
¼ cup chopped red onion
2 Tbsps. crumbled feta cheese
1. Bring 1¾ cups water to a boil. Add quinoa and reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool, uncovered.
2. Place kale in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a saucepan. Cover saucepan with a lid and steam kale until hot, about 45 seconds; transfer to a large plate and let cool.
3. Fluff quinoa with fork. Then fold in avocado, orange segments, red onion and feta cheese.
4. In a mixing bowl, toss the kale and Orange Dijon Dressing until the kale is lightly coated. Transfer the kale onto a serving plate and top with the quinoa, avocado and orange mixture.
For the Orange Dijon Dressing:
¾ cup fresh navel orange juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup olive oil
1. In a blender, combine orange juice, Dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper together and let blender run at medium speed. Slowly pour olive oil in the running blender until all ingredients are completely emulsified. Set aside.
Recipe: Don Cortes, Cal Catering, UC Berkeley Photo: Chilean Fresh Fruit Association