YIELD: 12 servings
¾ cup corn kernels
2 tsps. olive canola oil blend
4 ¼ oz. Neufchatel cream cheese
2 oz. diced pimento, canned, drained
3 medium green tomatoes
1 Tbsps. olive oil-canola oil blend
½ tsp. minced fresh garlic
1 tsp. kosher salt
¾ tsp. ground black pepper
5 ½ cups cold water
1 ¾ cups stone ground grits
¾ tsp. kosher salt
1 oz. Neufchatel cream cheese
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 ¾ cups skim milk
24 fresh eggs
1. For the roasted corn: Preheat oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl, toss corn and olive oil, coating corn completely. If using fresh corn, blanch and cool, then shuck. Place corn on sheet pans and place in oven; roast corn stirring every 15 minutes until 40 percent of the corn is golden brown, about 35-45 minutes.
2. For the pimento cheese: Soften the cream cheese and dice the pimentos. In a mixer, combine the pimentos and the cream cheese, mix on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes until mixture is smooth and has a light red color.
3. For the green tomatoes: Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray the baking sheet(s) with cooking spray. Cut the tomatoes into 8 portions. Place the tomato quarters into a mixing bowl. Toss with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spread tomatoes in a single layer on the baking sheets, careful not to crowd the baking sheet. Use additional baking sheets as needed. Roast until fork tender and golden brown about 15 minutes.
4. For the grits: in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat combine the 5 ½ cups water, grits, salt, 1 oz. cream cheese, black pepper and milk with a whisk. Whisking constantly until the liquid reaches a simmer, continue to stir, adjust the heat so the grits are at a bare simmer, if it gets too hot, it will pop and explode, be careful not to burn yourself. Continue to stir occasionally with a rubber spatula until the grits are tender. This should take about 90 minutes. Once the grits are tender, remove from the heat.
5. For the eggs: prepare eggs to order, according to customer request.
6. While the eggs are cooking prepare the bowl for assembly. Into each bowl portion 6 oz. of grits. 2 green tomato wedges, 1 Tbsp. roasted corn into the bowl. Add cooked eggs topped by 1 Tbsp. pimento cheese.
Recipe: Morrison Healthcare