2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
6 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
2 cups sweet potato puree
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsps. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. butter
8 oz. marshmallows
1. In sauce pan over low heat, combine milk and cream; heat until mixture reaches a slow boil. Remove from heat; set aside.
2. In medium bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until mixture is frothy.
3. Quickly whisk egg and sugar mixture. Temper mixture by slowly adding hot milk while whisking; whisk until mixture is evenly combined.
4. In small bowl, combine sweet potato puree, cloves, cinnamon and maple syrup. Mash until smooth.
5. Whisk sweet potato into sauce pan with milk and egg mixture; cook on low until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. Strain mixture to remove any lumps.
6. Chill mixture for 3 hours.
7. Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.
8. In small saucepan over low heat, cook butter and marshmallows until creamy.
9. Slowly pour hot marshmallow cream into ice cream maker while running.
10. Transfer gelato to container; cover and freeze until desired consistency.
Photo and recipe: Holley Dominguez/ Restaurant Associates & North Carolina Sweet Potato Marketing Cooperative Chef Recipe Contest 2010