YIELD: 100 servings
6 lbs. + 8 oz. whole-grain brown rice
1 gallon + 2 qts. water
1 1/3 cups oil, vegetable or olive
3 cups onion, chopped
2/3 cup garlic, fresh, chopped
3 cups red pepper, chopped
3 cups carrots, chopped or shredded
5 cups peas, frozen
6 cups canned pineapple tidbits
3 cups raisins
5 cups peanuts, dry roasted, unsalted (optional)
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 ½ cups soy sauce
1 ½ cups curry powder
1. Cook rice according to package directions. Cool to 40°F or below; cover and hold overnight.
2. Day of service: Remove rice from refrigerator; drizzle oil over chilled rice and gently mix to separate grains. Set aside.
3. Saute onions, garlic and red peppers in small amount of oil for 1 minute in skillet, oven or kettle. Add carrots and peas and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. If pan becomes dry, add small amount of stock or water (not oil).
4. Add pineapple, raisins, peanuts, stock and rice. Toss until well mixed.
5. In separate bowl, stir together soy sauce and curry powder.
6. Gradually drizzle soy sauce-curry powder mixture over rice and stir gently. Continue heating until temperature reaches 145°F.
7. Taste for salt/flavor. Add a little more soy sauce if needed. If too salty, add a squeeze of lime juice.
8. Remove from heat and hot-hold at 140°F or above until ready to serve. For 100 servings, use 4 sheet pans.
Recipe: Uncle Ben’s