YIELD: 12 servings
1 small red onion, minced (about ½ cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsps. olive oil
1 lb. boned, skinned chicken breast, cubed
2½ cups sliced mushrooms (about 6 oz.)
1½ cups thinly cut red, yellow and green pepper strips
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 Tbsps. each chopped fresh cilantro and basil
2 tsps. chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp. each chopped fresh thyme and marjoram
2 jars (27 oz. each) Barilla Lasagna sauce, divided
⅓ cup merlot or other dry red wine
1 box (16 sheets) Barilla Oven Ready Lasagna
1 container (15 oz.) ricotta cheese, drained
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
½ cup (2 oz.) grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 13 ½ × 9 ½ × 3" foil pan or equivalent 3" deep lasagna baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Both sauce and filling can be prepared one day ahead, covered and refrigerated.
2. For sauce: in skillet, cook onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken; cook until white, about 5 minutes. Add vegetables and herbs. Add 1 ½ jars lasagna sauce (about 4½ cups) and the wine. Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring frequently.
3. For filling: in medium bowl, beat eggs. Stir in ricotta, ⅔ cup of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
4. To assemble: Do not boil the lasagna sheets. When layering, slightly overlap lasagna sheets. Lasagna sheets will expand to the edges of the pan during cooking. Spread sauce and filling to edges of lasagna sheets. If sauce and filling are made ahead, let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before assembling.
5. Layer lasagna as follows: spread 1 cup of the chicken sauce on bottom of lasagna pan.
6. Layer 4 uncooked lasagna sheets, ⅓ of the remaining chicken sauce (about 2½ cups) and ⅓ of the filling (about 1 cup).
7. Layer 4 uncooked lasagna sheets, 2½ cups chicken sauce and 1 cup filling.
8. Layer 4 uncooked lasagna sheets, remaining chicken sauce and remaining filling.
9. Layer remaining 4 uncooked lasagna sheets, remaining ½ jar of lasagna sauce and the remaining ⅓ cup mozzarella.
10. To cook and serve: Cover with foil. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 60 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until center is hot (160°F), about 5 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Recipe: Chef Bruno Wehren, Barilla America, Inc. Photo: Barilla America, Inc.