YIELD: 24 servings
12 cups buttermilk
6 Tbsps. sage, rubbed
18 lbs. bone-in chicken breast halves, each piece cut into thirds
12 cups all purpose flour
¼ cup salt
2 Tbsps. ground black pepper
1 ½ tsp. ground red pepper
vegetable oil for frying
3 cups apple cider
3 cups molasses
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 ½ cups unsalted butter
2 Tbsps. vanilla extract
6 cups pancake and waffle mix
2 Tbsps. sage, rubbed
1. For the fried chicken: mix buttermilk and 1 tsp. of the sage in large bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Cover. Refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Mix flour, remaining 2 tsps. of sage, salt, pepper and red pepper in large bowl until well blended.
3. Heat oil in deep fryer to 325°F. Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture. Coat in seasoned flour. Once all of the chicken has been coated, coat again in seasoned flour. Add chicken in batches to hot oil. Fry 10 to 12 minutes per side or until cooked through and golden brown. Drain and keep warm.
4. For the Molasses-Cider Syrup: Bring cider, molasses and brown sugar to simmer in small saucepan on medium heat. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Keep warm.
5. For the waffles: prepare pancake and waffle mix as directed on package for waffles, adding sage to the batter.
Photo and recipe: McCormick for Chefs