YIELD: 12 servings
For the waffle batter:
8 oz. red jasmine rice
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2½ Tbsps. minced ginger
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1½ cups chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk
2 bunches scallions, sliced, divided
2½ cups milk
1 cup melted butter
2 Tbsps. vanilla extract
3 cups flour
2 Tbsps. baking powder
2 Tbsps. sugar
For the adobo chicken:
1½ cups white vinegar
1½ cups soy sauce
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground black pepper
3 lbs. chicken thighs, bone in
¾ cup toasted shredded coconut
1. For the waffle batter: Rinse rice thoroughly; drain.
2. In a small pot, add olive oil. Saute garlic and ginger for about 2 minutes or until soft.
3. Add rice and chicken stock. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
4. Stir in coconut milk and mix well. Remove from heat and stir in half of the scallion. Cover and chill in refrigerator or walk-in.
5. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until thick. Whisk in the milk, butter and vanilla.
6. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and sugar; mix well.
7. Sift the dry ingredients into the egg mixture; mix well.
8. Stir in the chilled rice and refrigerate until service.
9. For the adobo chicken: combine the vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, pepper and bay leaves in a large pot; bring to a boil. Add the chicken thighs, skin side down. Return to a boil; reduce to simmer. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
10. Flip the chicken thighs over and remove and discard skins.
11. Simmer the chicken and sauce for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is very tender and cooked through.
12. Remove the chicken from the pot; continue to simmer the sauce. Debone the thighs as soon as possible, reserving the pulled meat.
13. Once the sauce has reduced by half (yielding about 1½ cups), strain and hold for service.
14. To make the waffles at service, pour ¾ cup waffle batter into a hot, 7” waffle iron. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Repeat to yield 12 waffles.
15. Per order: Bring 2 oz. pulled chicken to heat and place in the center of a waffle. Drizzle 1 oz. adobo sauce over chicken and waffle. Garnish with 1 Tbsp. toasted coconut and 1 Tbsp. sliced scallion.
Photo and recipe: InHarvest