YIELD: 12 sandwiches
6 large whole (double) chicken breasts,
bone in, skin on (should yield 72 oz.
boneless, skinless chicken: 6 oz. per
salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsps. chopped fresh tarragon
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. lime juice
1 cup jicama, ¼” dice
1 cup yellow onion, ¼” dice
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
½ cup plain yogurt
1 cup mayonnaise
¾ cup shaved toasted almonds
12 ciabatta rolls
24 large leaves from Romaine hearts
24 slices bacon, cooked crisp (substitute
prosciutto if available)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in roasting pan, skin side up and roast for approximately 40 minutes. Allow the chicken to cool and remove skin and bone. Shred chicken in large bowl and refrigerate.
2. Combine herbs, lemon and lime juice, jicama, onion, salt, pepper, yogurt and mayonnaise in a separate bowl and mix well.
3. When chicken is cool, add the mayonnaise mixture and toasted almonds and toss well to combine.
4. Split the rolls lengthwise to form tops and bottoms and toast lightly in oven before assembling sandwiches.
5. Place two leaves on bottom half of each roll. Divide the chicken salad among the buns, on top of lettuce and add two strips of bacon and the remaining roll half to each and serve.
Photo and recipe: La Brea Bakery