YIELD: 12 servings
4 lbs. turkey thighs
as needed salt and black pepper
4 cups olive oil
2 each tangerines, quartered
1 cup whole milk
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup tamari soy sauce
1/2 cup cola soda
FOR THE TANGERINE VINAIGRETTE:
2 bunches scallions, finely-chopped
1/4 cup sugar
2 each jalapeño peppers, seeds and membranes removed, minced
4 each tangerines, zested and juiced
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsps. tamari soy sauce
1 cup olive oil
2 lbs. mesclun greens, washed and drained
6 each avocados, peeled and sliced into wedges
as needed blue corn tortilla strips
- Trim turkey thighs and remove bones. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil and add turkey. Slowly simmer for 45 minutes until turkey is golden brown and very tender.
- Add tangerine quarters, milk, garlic cloves, soy sauce and cola. Simmer another 15 minutes.
- Remove turkey from liquid and drain thoroughly. Using 2 forks, shred the turkey. Reserve warm for service.
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE: Blend scallions, sugar, jalapeños, tangerine juice and zest, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce in a medium bowl. Using a wire whip, slowly incorporate 1 cup olive oil. Place in a small saucepan and warm for service.
- TO SERVE: Toss the mesclun greens and avocado slices with warm vinaigrette. Place greens in the center of warm service plates and top with shredded turkey. Garnish with blue corn tortilla strips.
Recipe from Chef Dean Thomas, The Inn at Essex at the New England Culinary Institute, Montpelier, VT. Photo from National Turkey Federation.