YIELD: 18 servings
45 garlic cloves
6 oz. olive oil
3 oz. water
1½ tsps. salt
1½ tsps. ground white pepper
3 large red bell peppers
18 regular size lasagna noodles
4½ lbs. turkey, lean, ground
3 Tbsp. butter, unsalted
3 large onions, minced
3 10 oz. packages fresh spinach, trimmed and washed
¼ tsp. crushed cayenne pepper
2 Tbsps. Tabasco brand Garlic Pepper Sauce
1 Tbsp. Tabasco brand Pepper Sauce
12 oz. goat cheese, soft, crumbled
1½ lbs. Ricotta Salatta cheese, crumbled
6 eggs, whole
1½ lbs. fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into ¼" slices
2 Tbsps. lemon zest, minced
6 Tbsps. fresh basil, cut into thin strips
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Peel and trim garlic cloves. Form a sheet of foil into a bowl shape and place the garlic cloves inside, along with 3 Tbsps. of olive oil, 3 Tbsp. of water and ¼ tsp. salt and white pepper. Seal the foil tightly to form a pouch.
2. Cut each red bell pepper lengthwise into 4 quarters and remove seeds and white fibers. Rub the pepper pieces with 3 Tbsps. olive oil and sprinkle with ¼ tsp. salt and white pepper. Place pepper pieces and the foil pouch into an ovenproof pan and bake for 1 hour.
3. While peppers and garlic are baking, cook lasagna noodles in rapidly boiling salted water until just tender. Check cooking instructions on package for cooking times, as different types of noodles may cook at different rates. Drain noodles and gently toss with 3 Tbsps. olive oil to prevent sticking.
4. Heat 3 Tbsps. olive oil in a sauté pan. Add turkey, season with salt and white pepper and cook until just browned. Remove turkey to a large bowl. Melt butter in the same sauté pan and add onions. Cook until soft, about 4 minutes, then add spinach. Season with salt, white pepper and cayenne and cook, stirring gently, until the spinach is just wilted. Add to bowl with turkey and toss in Tabasco brand Garlic Pepper Sauce and Tabasco brand Pepper Sauce.
5. Add crumbled goat cheese and Ricotta Salata cheese to the turkey and spinach mixture.
6. Separate the roasted garlic, red bell peppers, mozzarella cheese, lemon zest and basil into 3 equal amounts, one for each casserole.
7. Spray 3 casserole dishes with non-stick spray and place 3 lasagna noodles along bottom of each dish. For each casserole, spread ½" of the turkey and spinach mixture over the noodles. Mince the roasted garlic and spread ½ over the turkey and spinach layer. Cut the red pepper into ½" dice and sprinkle ½ over the garlic. Sprinkle ½ of the basil strips, ½ of the lemon zest and top off the layer with ½ of the mozzarella slices.
8. Lay down 3 more slices of lasagna noodles and top with the remaining ingredients as in previous step. Spray a sheet of foil with non-stick spray and place foil loosely over top of casserole. Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes or until lasagna is heated through and cheese is melted.
9. Remove from oven, garnish and serve.
Photo and recipe: McIlhenny Company/TABASCO® Brand Products