YIELD: 8 servings
1 egg, separated
3 Tbsps. sugar
⅛ tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsps. flour butter and flour, as needed to coat sheetpan
2 tsps. powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsps. sugar
2 Tbsps. Marsala
2½ oz. heavy cream
Assembly per portion
1½ tsps. Grand Marnier
1½ tsps. ground espresso
1¾ oz. heavy cream grated cinnamon, as needed finely grated semisweet chocolate, as needed
1. To prepare ladyfingers: Whip egg white until stiff, add sugar and beat 1 minute. Fold in vanilla and egg yolk. Sift in flour, folding as you go.
2. Coat sheet tray with butter and flour. Using plain pastry tip, pipe ladyfingers 3 in. × 1 in. each. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and bake at 325°F for 12 minutes.
3. To prepare zabaglione: In a double boiler beat egg yolk and sugar together for 3 minutes until pale yellow. Add Marsala and whisk until thick and 140°F. Remove from heat and cool completely. Place in pastry bag.
4. In separate bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into cooled mixture.
5. To assemble per portion: Mix Grand Marnier with espresso and brush onto 1 ladyfinger. Dice ladyfinger. Whip heavy cream until stiff. Pipe 0.3 oz. zabaglione into shot glass. Top with 0.1 oz. ladyfinger and dusting of cinnamon and chocolate. Layer with 0.8 oz. zabaglione and 0.2 oz. whipped cream. Finish with 0.1 oz. ladyfinger and dusting of cinnamon and chocolate.
Recipe by Brent Cline, executive sous chef, Ashland University, Ashland, Ohio