YIELD: 8 servings
3 Tbsps. bacon grease
2 lbs. Andouille sausage, cut 1/4" thick
16 chicken thighs gumbo seasoning, as needed*
2 large onions, 1/4-inch dice
2 green peppers 1/4- inch dice
2 Tbsps. flour
8 cups chicken broth
16 oz. fresh okra, cut 1/4-inch thick
3 small cayenne peppers, rough chop including seeds green onions, as needed for garnish water, as needed*
1. In a cast iron skillet heat grease until hot.
2. Brown sausage in batches and transfer to paper towel.
3. Pat chicken, dry season with gumbo geasoning. Brown chicken in batches and transfer to paper towel.
4. Add onions and green peppers to pan and sautè 2 minutes. Add flour and make roux . Cook roux until light brown.
5. In a 10-qt. heavy kettle bring chicken broth to a boil. Add okra, simmer 5 minutes, add roux to thicken. Add chicken and sausage, simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
6. Add cayenne peppers; stir and let stand for 5 minutes.
7. Garnish with chopped scallions. Serve with red beans and rice.
*Chefs note: Gumbo seasoning can be purchased at Gumboshop.com. Use water to thin gumbo if too thick.
Submitted by Bruce A. Weiss, executive chef, Lackmann Culinary Services, New York Stock Exchange