Yield: 12 servings
12 slices white bread
6 oz. cooked and crumbled, seasoned breakfast sausage
12 large eggs, beaten
3⁄4 cup salsa, medium to hot flavor, drained
3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Spray 12 deep, 1-cup muffin cups with pan coating.
2. Flatten bread with rolling pin. Fold and mold bread into muffin cups.
3. Divide and sprinkle sausage into muffin cups.
4. Blend eggs and salsa. Fill each cup 3⁄4 full with egg mixture. Sprinkle each cup with 1 Tbsp. cheese.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes until eggs are puffy and cooked firm throughout (knife inserted near center comes out clean). Serve immediately.
Recipe from Head Cook Veronica Lavene, Bertrand Community School, Bertrand, Nebraska. Photo from American Egg Board.