YIELD: Approximately 44 biscotti
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups salted roasted peanuts, medium chopped
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsps. salt
4 large eggs
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tsps. vanilla extract
1 tsps. grated orange zest
3 Tbsps. creamy peanut butter
3 Tbsps. light corn syrup
1/3 cup water
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick liner. In a food processor combine 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup peanuts.Transfer peanut-flour mixture to a large bowl; whisk in remaining flour, chopped peanuts, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, peanut butter, vanilla and orange zest. Work wet ingredients into dry mixture until combined and ingredients are moistened. Pour dough onto a lightly floured board and knead.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a log 13-inches long by 2-inches wide.Arrange logs on prepared baking sheet about 4-inches apart.
- Bake in center of oven 30 minutesor until middle of logs are firm to the touch (top of logs will crack.) Cool logs on baking sheet just until barely warm. On a cutting board, with serrated knife, cut logs on a slight diagonal into 3/8-inch slices. Lay slices flat evenly spaced on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 12 minutes.Turn slices over using an offset spatula and return sheets to oven, switching racks. Bake an additional 10 minutes until dry and crisp. Cool.
- PEANUT FONDANT: In small saucepan, combine peanut butter, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil, whisking until mixture comes together.Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in confectioners' sugar and extract until smooth. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water and reduce heat to low. Stir fondant until it is a dipping consistency. Dip rounded edge of biscotti into fondant to coat, letting excess fondant drip back into bowl. Stand slices up until fondant hardens. Store biscotti between sheets of waxed paper.