YIELD: 12 SANDWICHES
For the Pear Mustard:
1½ cups reserved canned pear juice
1 cup yellow mustard
21 ciabatta or hard bread rolls, split
1½ cups Pear Mustard (recipe follows)
12 oz. (24 slices) thinly sliced baked ham
12 oz. (24 slices) thinly sliced Swiss or provolone cheese
1 lb. (12) canned pear halves, thinly sliced; reserve juice
as needed, thin dill pickle slices (sliced lengthwise)
12 oz. (24 slices) roast pork, turkey or smoked turkey, thinly sliced
as needed, vegetable oil
1. To make Pear Mustard: In a saucepan, reduce pear juice to ½ cup. Cool slightly. Add yellow mustard and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until ready to use as directed.
2. Lay split rolls on work surface. Spread 1 Tbsp. Pear Mustard on insides of each roll.
3. Top each roll with 2 slices ham, 2 slices cheese, 1 sliced pear half, 1 slice pickle and 2 slices pork or turkey. Top with bun top. Brush sandwich lightly with oil on both sides of bun.
4. Grill sandwich in Panini maker or on a flat-top with weight until golden on both sides and cooked through (approximately 2-3 minutes per side). Remove from grill and let sandwich stand 1-2 minutes before cutting in half and serving.
5. Serve with carrot slices or plantain chips, if desired.
Photo and recipe: Pacific Northwest Canned Pear Service (PNCPS)