YIELD: 12 servings
1 cup peanuts, unsalted, roasted
3 Guajillo chiles, wiped clean and toasted
4 Arbol chiles, wiped clean and toasted
1/8 tsp. black peppercorns
½ tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. dried oregano
4 cups chicken stock
1 tomato, medium, roasted and peeled
4 garlic cloves, roasted
2 tsps. sugar
2 tsps. apple cider vinegar
1 ½ tsps. salt, fine
2 Tbsps. peanut oil
4 cups chicken, shredded
12 kaiser rolls
1 ½ cups refried black beans
1 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
1 cup white onion, chopped, rinsed
1 ½ cups cilantro leaves
6 Hass avocados
1. Soak peanuts, guajillo, arbol chiles, spices and dried herbs in 2 cups chicken stock for 30 minutes.
2. Blend peanuts and chiles with garlic, tomatoes, sugar, salt and vinegar until very smooth.
3. Fry the sauce in the oil and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes, adding stock or liquid as the sauce thickens and starts splattering too much. You should end up with approximately 4 cups of a fine, silky, slightly speckled sauce that thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon.
4. Add the shredded chicken and mix well into the sauce. Lower the heat and let the mixture dry out for 10 to 15 minutes. Season with more salt if necessary. Use for tortas, tacos or quesadillas.
5. For assembly: heat a flat griddle or comal to medium-high heat. Open rolls in half and lightly toast on both sides.
6. Spread with 1 ½ Tbsps. of the beans on the bottom part of each roll. Add ½ cup of the peanut chicken, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. chopped white onion and add 5 or 6 cilantro leaves. Top with 3 slices of avocado and spread 1 Tbsp. sour cream or crema on the top part of each roll. Close sandwich and serve.