YIELD: 8 SERVINGS
Mango Barbecue Sauce:
1 mango, peeled, pitted and mashed 1
jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1½ cups bottled barbecue sauce
¼ cup lime juice
2 Tbsps. brown sugar
Hot sauce, to taste, optional
2 tsps. ground cumin
2 tsps. garlic powder
2 tsps. dried oregano
3 lbs. boneless pork loin, cut into 2” chunks
2 Tbsps. vegetable oil, divided
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 mango, peeled, pitted and mashed
1. For the sauce: Stir together all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
2. For the pork: Stir together spices in medium bowl; add pork and toss until coated.
3. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a stockpot. Add pork and cook until browned on all sides. Remove from pot.
4. Heat remaining oil and add onion; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 5 minutes to brown. Add pork back to pot with mango and 1 ½ cups mango barbecue sauce (reserve extra sauce for serving); cover and cook over low heat for 2½ hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
5. Serve shredded pork on rolls with a drizzle of barbecue sauce.
Photo and recipe: National Mango Board