2 16-oz. jars roasted red peppers
1 qt. heavy cream
cornstarch and cold water for thickening
2 cups balsamic vinegar
6 portabella mushrooms
2 Tbsps. olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 small red onion
½ lb. bacon
2 lbs. fresh spinach
1½ cups shredded Parmesan
1½ cups goat cheese
1. For roasted red pepper sauce: Place 1 jar of roasted red peppers in blender until pureed. Add to small sauce pan, add cream and heat to a slow boil.
2. Mix cornstarch with cold water until dissolved and add to cream mixture. Mix until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Keep warm until ready to serve.
3. For balsamic reduction: Pour balsamic vinegar into sauce pot. Heat and slowly reduce by half or more until it develops a syrupy consistency. Keep warm and ready to serve.
4. Clean gills and remove stems from mushrooms. Lightly oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Place on a sheet pan and roast at 350°F for 5 minutes.
5. Dice onion, bacon and roasted peppers and saute until tender. Slowly add spinach to pan and allow it to cook until all spinach has been wilted.
6. Combine both cheeses in a bowl.
7. Place mixture into mushroom caps. Top each mushroom cap with ¼ cup of cheese and return to oven until cheese melts. Serve with roasted red pepper sauce and balsamic reduction.
Recipe: Purdue University and mushroominfo.com
Photo: The Mushroom Council