3 cups peanut or vegetable oil
4 ½ cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a 12” cast-iron skillet or heavy aluminum sauté pan, heat peanut oil on medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
3. Slowly whisk in flour until completely incorporated.
4. Cook for 15 minutes stirring constantly until roux begins to brown slightly.
5. Place in pre-heated oven and cook for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes.
6. Allow roux to cool before using in gumbo. Can be stored in an airtight container and frozen.
Recipe: Chef Patrick Mould chefpatrickmould.com Photo: Denny Culbert