YIELD: 4 servings
2 Tbsps. water
4 catfish fillets (6 oz. each)
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 cup pecans, chopped finely
2 Tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
1. Mix egg and water together in large glass baking dish and let fish soak in it while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
2. Spread flour on a sheet of wax paper, stir in salt and pepper, using a fork to blend. Spread pecans on another large sheet of wax paper.
3. Heat oil in large skillet or cast iron pan.
4. Take each fillet out of egg mixture and dip one side into flour, gently shaking off excess. Lay the other side onto chopped pecans, pressing nuts into the filet.
5. Place fillets nut side down in pan. Fry about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully turn over each fillet and finish cooking, 4 to 6 minutes or until center is opaque and fish flakes easily.
Illustration and recipe: Oldways