YIELD: 4 servings
For Green Goddess dressing:
¾ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream or crème fraiche
4 anchovy fillets, oil-packed, drained and chopped
3 Tbsps. chives, chopped
2 Tbsps. parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp. capers, drained and chopped
2 tsps. lemon zest, finely grated
salt and black pepper, to taste
lemon juice, as needed
8 oz. salmon, fresh, ¼” dice
8 oz. more fresh salmon, very finely chopped
4 oz. shrimp, fresh, uncooked, cut into ¼” dice
2 egg whites, beaten
¼ cup red bell pepper, quickly blanched and drained, finely diced
2 Tbsps. green onions, finely chopped
1 ½ Tbsps. lemon zest, finely grated
1 tsp. jalapeno, seeded, minced
1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup panko or other coarse dry breadcrumbs, plus more to dredge
extra virgin olive oil, as needed for sautéing
4 whole grain slider buns
butter lettuce leaves, as needed
tomatoes, sliced, as needed
crispy leeks, as needed
Green Goddess dressing, as needed
1. For dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients except salt, pepper and lemon juice in food processor; pulse a few times to combine.
2. For salmon burger: In medium bowl combine all burger ingredients. Should just hold together and not be too dense and heavy. Add more breadcrumbs or mayonnaise if needed.
3. Divide mixture and pat into 4 cakes no thicker than 1”. Burgers may be prepared in advance to this point. Store uncovered in refrigerator for up to 4 hours.
4. Dredge salmon burgers in remaining breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper. In large sauté pan over moderate heat, add oil just to cover bottom. Saute cakes until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
5. For assembly: Serve immediately on whole grain bun with butter lettuce, tomato slice, crispy leeks and a dollop of Green Goddess dressing.