YIELD: 24 servings
3 lbs. spaghetti
6 pts. cherry tomatoes
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
7 ½ oz. sliced yellow onion
as needed, red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 lbs. (2 oz. portions) mackerel fillets
1 cup dry white wine
9 oz. sliced kalamata olives
as needed, sea salt
3 Tbsps. fresh marjoram, minced
1 ½ cups bread crumbs
as needed, black pepper
3 Tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ lb. (1 oz. portions) mackerel fillets
1. Cook pasta according to instructions. Drain pasta and drizzle with olive oil to prevent sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternately, cool it in a walk-in cooler.
2. Combine garlic, marjoram and bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper. Pat the topping onto the skin side of the 1 oz. portions of mackerel. (For each serving, to order: drizzle a 1 oz. portion of mackerel with oil and crisp it in the oven.)
3. In a hot pan, blister ½ cup tomatoes and season with salt. Set aside.
4. Per order: Sweat about 1 Tbsp. onions and a pinch of pepper flakes in the 1 tsp. of oil until translucent. Add a pinch of garlic and sauté until lightly golden. Add 2 oz. portion of mackerel and sauté over high heat. Deglaze with 2 tsps. wine; reduce and season with salt. Add tomatoes and 3/8 oz. olives.
5. Reheat 2 oz. spaghetti in simmering water until hot. Drain and plate. Place mackerel on top and pour the sauce and vegetables over top. Garnish with a pinch of marjoram and the crisp mackerel garnish (the 1 oz. portion). Drizzle with 2 tsps. extra virgin olive oil.
Photo and recipe: Barilla