YIELD: 12 SERVINGS
Coconut Avocado Cream (Yield 2½ cups):
2 large fresh avocados, peeled and seeded
8 oz. coconut milk
2 oz. pineapple juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Ponzu Sauce (Yield 3¾ cups):
1½ cups soy sauce
1½ cups fresh orange juice
3 Tbsps. puréed fresh ginger
4 dried Thai chiles
4½ Tbsps. rice vinegar
¾ cups cold water
4½ Tbsps. cornstarch
24 oz. boneless, skinless salmon fillet
12 rice-paper sheets
3 oz. watercress leaves
1½ large fresh avocados, peeled, seeded, each half cut into fourths
4 oz. bamboo shoots, drained
12 oz. rice noodles, cooked, chilled and drained
2 Tbsp. Sriracha (optional)
1. For the coconut avocado cream: In a food processor, purée avocados. Add coconut milk and pineapple juice and blend. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until service.
2. To marinate salmon in ponzu sauce: In a sauce pan, mix together the soy sauce, orange juice, ginger, chiles and rice vinegar. Separately, make a slurry of water and cornstarch. Heat the soy sauce mixture and add the slurry while stirring. Cook over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and refrigerate to cool. Divide into 2½ cups for the marinade and 1¼ cups for dipping.
3. Cut salmon into 2 oz. pieces. Gently coat salmon with 2½ cups ponzu sauce, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Place marinated salmon on a well-oiled sheet pan and roast at 500°F for about 10 minutes, until the fish is cooked and the sauce has formed a golden crust. Gently transfer the fish and refrigerate until cold.
5. To assemble 1 spring roll quickly to order: Place 1 sheet of rice paper in a bowl of warm water for 5 to 10 seconds, until soft. Place flat on a cutting board. Place ingredients in the center of the rice paper in the following order: marinated salmon, watercress, sliced avocado, bamboo shoots, rice noodles, Sriracha (optional). Fold in the sides to the center and roll wrap-like. (The spring roll will be very full.) Slice the spring roll in half diagonally and plate garnished with coconut avocado cream, reserved ponzu sauce and additional Sriracha (optional).
Recipe: Chef James Bartlett, Whitsons Culinary Group, Islandia, N.Y. Photo: Hass Avocado Board