YIELD: 24 SERVINGS
2 cups honey
1½ cups balsamic vinegar
1 cup soy sauce
2 oz. garlic (about 12 cloves)
1½ cups + as needed olive oil
24 portobello mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
½ cup honey
⅓ cup champagne vinegar
1 oz. finely chopped shallot
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
⅔ cup olive oil
12 oz. pancetta, chopped
3 gal. mixed bitter greens (about 3 lbs.)
12 oz. Roquefort cheese, crumbled
Thinly sliced chive, as needed
1. To marinate portobellos: In a food processor, purée honey with vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and 1½ cups olive oil. Reserve.
2. Brush mushrooms with olive oil and grill, turning occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Pour marinade over mushrooms, gill sides up. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, basting with marinade occasionally.
4. For the honey vinaigrette: Whisk together honey, champagne vinegar, shallot, salt and pepper until well incorporated. Slowly whisk in oil.
5. Sauté pancetta until lightly browned. Drain well and reserve.
6. Per order: Reheat 1 mushroom on the grill, turning once, about 1 minute. Toss 2 cups greens with 1 Tbsp. honey vinaigrette and arrange on a serving dish. When the mushroom is hot, cut in half vertically through the stem and prop 1 piece against the other over the greens. Garnish with 1 Tbsp. pancetta and 1 Tbsp. Roquefort. Sprinkle with chive.
Recipe and photo: National Honey Board