YIELD: 4 servings
1 cup long grain rice
¼ cup red wine vinegar, divided
1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
3 Tbsps. reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups fresh Portobello mushrooms,
sliced with stems and gills removed
1 cup fresh Shiitake mushrooms,
sliced with stems removed
1 cup carrots, julienned
¾ cup vegetable broth
8 oz. vegan ‘chicken’ strips
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
1 ½ cups fresh sugar snap peas
3 Tbsps. fresh cilantro, chopped
wasabi, reduced-sodium soy sauce
or pickled ginger (optional)
1. Cook rice according to package directions. Remove from heat. In small bowl, stir together 2 Tbsps. vinegar and 1 ½ tsp. sugar until sugar dissolves. Pour over cooked rice. Let stand, covered, until needed.
2. Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together soy sauce and cornstarch. Set aside.
3. In nonstick wok or large skillet, heat oil until sizzling. Add both types of mushroom and carrots. Stir-fry about 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add broth, remaining 2 Tbsp. vinegar and remaining 1½ tsps. sugar. Stir cornstarch mixture. Combine with mixture in wok. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until boiling and slightly thickened.
4. Stir vegan ‘chicken’ strips, sprouts and snap peas into mushroom mixture. Return to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
5. Spoon rice mixture into 4 serving bowls. Top with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with wasabi, soy sauce or pickled ginger, if desired.
Photo and recipe: Kellogg’s