YIELD: 12 SERVINGS (2 LOAF PANS)
2 Tbsps. salt
2 lbs. zucchini, coarsely shredded
1 lb. onions, thinly sliced
4 oz. unsalted butter, divided
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 oz. basil leaves, chiffonade
1 cup Mascarpone (8 oz.)
2 large eggs, beaten
3 oz. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
12 lasagna noodles, boiled 4 minutes, drained well
2, 16-oz. pkgs. sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
1. Toss salt with zucchini; drain in colander 30 to 45 minutes. Squeeze out excess water.
2. Cook onion in 3 oz. butter over medium-low heat until soft but not browned, about 20 minutes. Add squeezed zucchini and garlic; continue to cook until very tender, about 10 minutes longer. Remove from heat, stir in basil. Let cool.
3. Stir Mascarpone and egg together. Add to cooled zucchini mixture. Stir in ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Set remaining cheese aside.
4. Use ½ Tbsp. remaining butter to grease 9" × 5" loaf pan. Set remaining ½ Tbsp. butter aside to use as topping for lasagna.
5. To assemble lasagna in each buttered pan: Layer 2 blanched noodles, cut to fit with slight overlapping, in pan bottom. Add ¾ cup zucchini filling, spread evenly. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese. Top with 6 inside slices of Mozzarella in single layer, reserving smaller end cheese slices for the topping. Repeat layering noodles, zucchini filling, Parmesan and 6 more cheese slices. Add final layer noodles and final layer zucchini filling. Coarsely chop remaining cheese slices; arrange over filling. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Dot with pieces of remaining ½ Tbsp. butter.
6. Cover pan with foil and bake in 400°F. oven for 20 minutes. Uncover pan; return to oven for 10 minutes or until bubbling hot. Let stand 20 to 25 minutes to set. Cut into slices to serve.
Recipe and photo: BelGioioso