YIELD: 12 servings
1 ½ lbs. red onions, for topping
6 Tbsps. olive oil
2 lbs. red or yellow onions, chopped
8 oz. ricotta cheese
1 lb. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb. pesto sauce
24 lasagna noodles, 2 to 2 ¼" wide
2 cans (1 lb. 12 oz. each) fire-roasted whole tomatoes
¼ cup fresh oregano, chopped
2 Tbsps. fresh thyme, chopped
1. For topping: remove skin and root end from red onions; cut onions into wedges. Toss wedges with 2 Tbsps. oil and spread on baking sheet. Roast at 400°F for 25 minutes or until roasted and tender.
2. For filling, sauté chopped onions in ¼ cup oil over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender and sweet. Beat chopped caramelized onions with ricotta, cream cheese, parmesan cheese and pesto sauce.
3. Boil lasagna noodles until tender; drain. Spread noodles out on board. Pipe filling equally along the length of the noodles and roll up.
4. Place rolls, seam-side down, in baking dish. Cover and bake at 425°F for 20 minutes or until hot in center.
5. For sauce, heat tomatoes with fresh herbs, breaking up largest chunks while heating.
6. For each serving, place 2 rolls on plate or wide pasta bowl and ladle sauce over. Top with roasted onion wedges, and if desired, garnish with fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese.
Recipe and photo: the National Onion Association