YIELD: 24 servings
4 lbs. red potatoes
3 lbs. fresh kale
4 oz. red onion, peeled
2 oz. olive oil/vegetable oil blend
2 ½ lbs. fennel, fresh
1 ¼ oz. garlic cloves, fresh, peeled
1 ½ qt. cage free liquid eggs
1/8 oz. ground thyme
1/8 oz. dried oregano
3 lbs. prepared garden salad (recommended with carrot and fresh dill)
1 ½ lbs. prepared chutney (roasted beet jam if available)
24 pieces of flatbread
1. Steam potatoes until cooked through.
2. Separate fennel bulbs from shoots. Thinly slice fennel bulbs, reserving shoots for garnish. Saute sliced fennel in olive oil over medium heat until lightly browned. Add garlic, sauté one more minute. Cool.
3. De-stem kale, cut into thin chiffonade ribbons. Whisk eggs together with spices.
4. Rub with olive oil or spray with nonstick spray a 200 full hotel pan. In order, layer: Potato, kale, onions, fennel sauté, egg.
5. Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until just done. Allow to sit. Score 24 cut.
Recipe: UC Davis