YIELD: 6 servings
2 bunches aparagus, woody ends
removed (about 20 stalks)
2 Tbsps. olive oil
½ tsp. salt
½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley,
1 clove garlic, minced
zest of 2 lemons
¼ cup unsalted roasted almonds
1. Place the asparagus in a large bowl and add the olive oil and salt, tossing until completely coated.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Transfer the asparagus to 2 baking sheets, arranged in a single layer. Roast for 8 minutes and check for doneness. Note: very fresh, just picked asparagus often cooks quickly.
3. Cook in 3-minute increments until the asparagus is as tender as you like it.
4. While the asparagus roasts, place the parsley, garlic, and half of the lemon zest in a small bowl and stir together (gremolata).
5. Pulverize the almonds in a clean coffee grinder or stand blender. Look for some flecks of texture; pieces of the nuts are okay.
6. Plate asparagus and sprinkle gremolata all over, followed by the “dust” and rest of zest.
Photo and recipe: The Meat Lover’s Meatless Celebrations: Year-Round Vegetarian Feasts (You Can Really Sink Your Teeth Into) by Kim O’Donnel, Lifelong Books, October 2012