YIELD: 6 SERVINGS
1 lb. zucchini, coarsely shredded
1 Tbsp. salt
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 Tbsps. unsalted butter
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
⅓ cup basil leaves, torn into small pieces
½ cup mascarpone cheese
1 large egg, beaten
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated and divided
6 lasagna noodles, boiled 4 minutes and drained well
1 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
1. Toss salt with zucchini; drain in colander for 30 to 45 minutes. Squeeze out excess water.
2. Cook onion in 3 Tbsps. butter over medium-low heat until soft but not browned, about 20 minutes.
3. Add zucchini and garlic; continue to cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in basil and let cool.
4. Stir mascarpone and egg together. Add to cooled zucchini mixture and stir in ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Set remaining Parmesan cheese aside.
5. Use ½ Tbsp. remaining butter to grease 9"×5" loaf pan. Set remaining ½ Tbsp. butter aside to use as topping for lasagna.
6. To assemble lasagna in buttered pan: Layer 2 blanched noodles, cut to fit with slight overlapping, in pan bottom. Add ¾ cup zucchini filling, spread evenly. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese and top with 6 slices of fresh mozzarella in single layer. Repeat layer and add a final layer of noodles and zucchini filling. Coarsely chop remaining fresh mozzarella slices; arrange over filling. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and dot with pieces of butter.
7. Cover pan with foil and bake in 400°F oven for 20 minutes. Uncover pan; return to oven for 10 minutes or until bubbling hot. Let stand for 20 minutes to set. Cut into slices and serve.
Photo and recipe: Bel Gioioso