This brownie recipe was developed to provide low-sugar options for Tucson’s Artisan Bake Shop catering services. Read more about the program here.
Yield: 12 brownies/24 bites
¾ cup black beans
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup whole-wheat flower
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat combi oven to 320°F.
2. In food processor, combine black beans, applesauce, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs until thoroughly combined and fluffy.
3. Add cocoa powder and mix well.
4. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl and then slowly add to bean mixture.
5. Pour batter into brownie pan sprayed with pan release and then evenly sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
6. Bake at 320°F for 22-25 minutes or until cracks begin to form and center of brownies feels little firm.
Recipe and photo by Tucson USD.