YIELD: 1 (9”) quiche, about 8 servings
1 fresh avocado, thinly sliced
6 oz. ground sausage
1 oz. onion, minced
1 oz. canola or grapeseed oil, if needed
3 oz. jalapeno-Colby cheese, grated
4 large eggs
6 oz. milk
¼ tsp. salt
ground black pepper, to taste
1 (9”) prepared pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place rack on bottom third of oven.
2. Roll out pie dough and place in 9” pie dish, gently forming dough to pan and shaping crust. Place pie dish in freezer until needed.
3. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground sausage, breaking it apart with spoon as it cooks, and cook until just brown. If sausage is lean, add cooking oil if needed to prevent sticking. Add onions and continue to cook until onions are lightly browned and sausage is cooked through. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to bowl. Let cool for 5 minutes.
4. Remove pie shell from freezer and line bottom with half avocado slices, arranging in circle. Add sausage and onion mixture on top. Top with grated cheese. Layer remaining avocado slices in circle on top, pressing mixture down to keep below rim of pie dish.
5. Whisk eggs and milk together in bowl until well incorporated. Add salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into pie shell and carefully place quiche onto baking sheet and put sheet onto rack in lower third of oven.
6. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until set and center no longer jiggles. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
7. Slice and serve.