YIELD: 12 servings
3 Tbsps. soy sauce
3 tsps. cornstarch
3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-in. pieces
9 Tbsps. vegetable oil, divided
1⁄2 cup + 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
6 shallots, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1⁄2 serrano chiles, finely chopped
4 1⁄2 Tbsps. fish sauce
3 tsps. brown sugar, packed
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups dried plums, pitted (about 12 ozs.)
1 1⁄2` medium onions, cut into thin wedges
18 sprigs cilantro, cut into 1-in. pieces
1. In a large bowl, combine soy sauce and cornstarch. Add chicken and toss to coat; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. In saucepan, Asian claypot or sandpot over medium heat, heat 6 Tbsps. of oil until hot. Add ginger, shallots, garlic, chile, fish sauce and sugar. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add chicken; cook and toss 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add chicken broth and dried plums; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly and sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 Tbsps. oil in another skillet. Add onions; cook and stir 5 minutes or until translucent. Mix into chicken mixture; cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
Recipe from California Dried Plum Board.