YIELD: 6 pies
5lb., 4oz. whole milk
1 lb, 5oz. 6x confectioners sugar
12 oz. milk
3 oz. corn starch
8 oz. egg yolk
3/4 oz. gelatin
8 oz. black coffee
8 oz. chocolate, chopped
2 oz. cocoa
2 oz. vanilla
6 graham cracker shells
- Scald milk and sugar. In a small bowl combine cornstarch and 12 oz. milk. Using yolk, liaison cornstarch mixture back into warm milk (whisk), bring back to a full boil.
- Bloom gelatin in coffee over double boiler, add to thickened milk.
- Pour hot milk mixture over chocolate and cocoa; add vanilla. Stir mix until chocolate is all melted.
- Portion out into graham shells, cover with plastic wrap to prevent skinning, and refrigerate overnight.
- Decorate with whipped cream and cut into 6 or 8 portions
Recipe submitted by Gerry Fortin, pastry chef, William and Mary University, Williamsburg, VA, Aramark