YIELD: 24 SERVINGS
Mediterranean spice mix:
2 Tbsps. Spanish paprika, ground
2 tsps. Hungarian paprika
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp. coriander, ground
1/2 tsp. cloves, ground
1/2 tsp. cumin, ground (comino)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsps. fresh garlic, peeled, minced
1/2 Tbsp. Kosher salt
1/2 Tbsp. black pepper whole, fresh ground
2 lbs., 4 oz. red snapper, skin on, boneless side, cut crosswise into 1 1/4 oz. pieces
Saffron fish broth:
1 1/2 qts. water
1 1/8 oz. Minor's fish base
1/4 tsp. saffron
6 gals., 3 qts., and 1 cup water
27 ea. frozen pasta sheets, thawed, roughly torn into
1/4 cup olive oil
6 oz. shallots, minced
1/4 cup spice mix
5 lbs., 4 oz. escarole lettuce, cut into 1" pieces
2 lbs., 4 oz. fresh plum tomatoes, diced 1/4"
9 lbs. pasta rags (see step #3 below)
1 1/2 qts. saffron fish broth, hot
48 ea. grilled snapper, hot
3 ea. lemons, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/8" thick
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
6 oz. Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, shredded
- For the spice mix: Combine all spice ingredients mixing well. Cover, reserve.
- For the broth: Bring water to a boil. Add base and using a wire whip, mix until base is dissolved. Bring back to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add saffron; mix well. Cover and keep hot for service.
- For noodles: cook pasta in boiling water about 2-3 minutes until al dente. Drain. Rinse thoroughly.* Drain and refigerate until needed.
* If pasta is to be used immediately or combined in a sauce, rinsing and refrigeration is not necessary.
- For the snapper: Combine oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Brush oil mixture on snapper. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Preheat char-grill to high. Grill snapper 1-2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork and internal temperature reaches 145°F. Cover. Keep hot for service.
- To assemble, per order: In a sautè pan, heat 1/2 tsp. oil. Add the following:
1/2 tsp. shallots and 1/2 tsp. spice mix.
Saute 10 seconds.
- Add 2 6-oz. spoodles of escarole and a 2-oz. spoodle of tomatoes. Saute until escarole is wilted. Add 1, 8-oz. spoodle of pasta rags and a 2-oz. spoodle of broth; toss to heat through.
- In a serving bowl, place the following: saute mixture, 2 pieces of snapper and a 4-oz. ladle of broth. Top with 2 slices of lemon, 1 tsp. of cilantro and 1 Tbsp. of parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Senior Executive Chef Len Lagasse, Aramark