INGREDIENTS:5 lb, 8 oz dried beans, pinto or kidney
1 lb, 13 oz onion, chopped
1 ½ cups green pepper, chopped
¼ cup salt
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
½ cup sugar
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp prepared mustard
2/3 of #10 can canned tomatoes
8 lb, 8 oz smoked sausage, sliced ¼ inch thick
3 lb, 6 oz rice, uncooked
1 Tbsp salt
3 qts boiling waterDIRECTIONS:1. Wash beans and soak overnight.
2. Drain water from beans, replace with enough fresh water to cover. Cook beans until they begin to get tender.
3. Saute onions and green peppers until tender.
4. Add salt, garlic powder, sugar, pepper, mustard, tomatoes and sausage to beans. Continue to simmer until beans are thoroughly tender.
5. Combine rice, salt and boiling water. Cook until rice is tender.
6. Serve a #6 scoop full of bean mixture in soup bowl over ¼ cup rice.
Note: 1 serving provides the equivalent of 2 ounces of cooked lean meat and a half serving of bread.SERVINGS:100 servingsFrom:USDA recipe submitted to FM by Ron Myers, Beaufort County Schools