YIELD: 8 servings
3 cups water
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
3 oz. bittersweet vegan chocolate product, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. orange zest
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped, toasted
1. In medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water, sugar and cocoa powder to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved and cocoa is well blended, about 1 minute.
2. Remover from heat and stir in vegan chocolate until melted. Let cool completely.
3. Stir in orange zest and walnuts.
4. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled, about 4 hours.
5. Spoon chilled mixture into shallow metal pan; freeze until almost firm, about 3 hours.
6. Break into chunks; puree in food processor. Pack into airtight container and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
7. (Alternately: transfer chilled mixture to ice cream maker and prepare according to instructions.)