YIELD: 6-8 servings
6 egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
1¼ cup mascarpone cheese
1¾ cup heavy whipping
1 cup cold espresso (or
very strong coffee)
¼ cup coffee-flavored
2 (12 oz.) packages
Italian lady fingers
(hard and crunchy, not
soft and cake-like)
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder,
1. Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler and place over simmering water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. (This is the sabayon).
2. Remove from the heat and whip the yolks until thick and lemon colored. Add the mascarpone cheese to the whipped yolks, and beat until combined.
RELATED: Chef Demo: Tiramisu Done Right
3. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside.
4. Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet. Do not soak them.
5. Arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of an 8x8 or 6x9 square baking dish. Spoon half of the mascarpone cream filling over the lady fingers. Repeat the process with another layer. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Dust with cocoa powder before serving.
Photos and recipe: Dennis Littley, Flik Independent School Dining Director of Dining Services, Mount St. Joseph Academy, Flourtown, PA