YIELD: 24 servings
3 cups Berkeley Farms heavy cream
8 cups Berkeley Farms whole milk
1 ½ tsp. saffron threads
1 cup egg yolks (about 16)
1 cup sugar
½ tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. salt
saffron threads, for garnish
1. In large saucepan, simmer cream and 2 cups of the milk until reduced to about 3 1/2 cups.
2. Pour 2 Tbsps. hot water over saffron to release its flavor; add to cream mixture.
3. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale; gradually whisk in hot cream mixture.
4. Pour back into saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
5. Add vanilla and salt; cool over an ice bath.
6. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Store in freezer.
7. For each serving, to order, blend a 2-ounce scoop ice cream with 1/4 cup milk; pour into a shot glass. Garnish with a few saffron threads.
Photo and recipe: California Milk Advisory Board