The National Association of College & University Food Services (NACUFS) 2022 announced the grand prize winners of the Loyal E. Horton Dining Awards and Sustainability Awards during its 2022 National Conference in Spokane, Wash. The Loyal Horton award winners had been announced in May, with those that achieved gold within each category then judged against one another to determine a grand prize winner.
The grand prize winners for the 2022 Loyal E. Horton Dining Awards are:
• Residential Dining Facility Grand Prize: Tufts University for Fresh at Carmichael.
• Residential Dining – Special Event Grand Prize: Virginia Tech for the Chili Challenge.
• Retail Sales – Single Concept/Multiple Concepts/Marketplace Grand Prize: University of Richmond for Organic Krush.
• Catering – Online Menu Grand Prize: University of North Texas for Verde Catering.
• NACUFS Sustainability Awards Grand Prize: University of Rhode Island for Free Farmers Market.
Also at the conference, NACUFS announced that Kerry Paterson, director of campus dining and catering for University Housing & Dining Services at Oregon State University, was named the Association’s 65th President. NACUFS members also elected five new individuals to serve on its board: Kory Samuels of Rochester Institute of Technology, who is also the 2022-23 President-Elect; Christopher Toote, of the University of Chicago; Jill Horst of the University of California – Santa Barbara; Erich Geiger of the University of Texas at Austin; and Virginia Dunleavy of the Rhode Island School of Design.