This is one of the dishes created by Compass Group chefs for the company's Stop Food Waste Day celebration on April 27 for Earth Day. The full gallery is here
- 3 lbs beets with greens attached
- 1 lb salsify
- 3 lbs maitake mushrooms or any other mushrooms available
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon mustard seeds, toasted
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Chop cilantro, leaves and stems. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes and put in a blender with ½ cup of olive oil, ¼ cup red wine vinegar, 3 garlic cloves, 1 tsp cumin, season with salt and pepper, blend till smooth. Reserve some for plating.
- Marinate the mushrooms in the cilantro sauce for 1 hour or overnight, and roast in 400°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Wash well and scrub the skin. Thinly slice the ½ lb with a mandolin or knife and deep fry or dehydrate to make chips.
- Cut ½ lb in 1 inch pieces, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in 400°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Cut the beet greens, separate leaves from stems and reserve. Wash and scrub the beets.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic, any herb you have. Roast in 400°F oven for 1-2 hours until tender, reserve.
- Sauté the leaves in olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper, reserve.
- Chop the stems and cook them in coconut milk until tender, season with salt and pepper and puree in a blender.
- Cut the beets in chunks, plate with the roasted salsify over some of the stems sauce and add some toasted mustard seeds, garnish with the salsify chip.
- Make a mound of the sautéed greens on the bottom of the plate, add the roasted mushrooms, and add some cilantro sauce.